Sickle cell anemia is a genetic disorder that is considered a chronic yet treatable disease. The disease requires constant and consistent care, and the people who have the disease have to take great care in their lifestyle choices.
There are a few notables with Sickle Cell Anemia.
- Actor Larenz Tate (Love Jones, Ray) and his brothers Larron and Lahmond all have SCA.
- Singer, actress Tionne Watkins (TLC) has been vocal about her SCA and treatment.
- The late member of the Temptations Paul Williams had SCA and often performed in pain.
- Jazz great Miles Davis lived with SCA.
- Football players Tiki Barber and Santonio Holmes have SCA.
September is National Sickle Cell Anemia Month. There are these resources to learn more about the disease: Black Doctor online, SickleCellDisease.org and the Mayo Clinic. You can listen to author Judy Gray Johnson being interviewed by Roland Martin about living with SCA here.
Do you know anyone living with the disease or its trait? If so, share what you know about self-care and caregiving in the comment section below, please.