Many people entertain misconceptions about social media for marketing their products, services, and platforms. There is cause for some concern given hacking, fake news, and predatory behavior exists. However, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest) remains one of the least expensive ways to promote your work. Here are 5 things you should know about it:
- Social media is social. Virtual relationships can equal real relationships and real results for a marketing campaign. Keep the tone and intent social, and you have half the battle won.
- Social media is what you make it. More than half of the world can be found on social media networks. A portion of that world is the audience you need and desire. If you don’t use it, you will lose it. If you use it, then you can gain what you need to progress with your business or cause.
- Social media is inexpensive. Well, sort of inexpensive. Agencies charge brands in the thousands of dollars per month to do what you can do – with some dedication – on your own. The cost of social ads is near nothing compared to taking out an ad in a newspaper, magazine, or putting one on television.
- Social media is great for customer service. Who has a budget for customer service representation? Few of us do, but you can use social media to reply and respond to customer queries.
- Social media is always changing. You would think that makes it something you have to keep up with, right? Wrong. Knowing the basics may be all you will ever need. You can track changes according to your time and curiosity. There are experts, but even the experts will not be able to keep up with all of the changes. You’re in great company.
In 2017, there really is no reason for a company or person with a product like a book not to use social media for marketing. Though it is not guaranteed that you will have instant success, it is guaranteed to expand your presence.
Do you have a favorite social network? If so, share a link in the comments.