A great copy editor is worth their rate. The work of copy editing is arduous and often unappreciated. However, they are a necessity.
Before you turn your work over to one, here are five things you should know:
- Self-edit your work before turning it over to a copy editor.
- Hire a proofreader after the copy editor has returned your edited document.
- Communicate with your copy editor. If they’ve returned your document, and you don’t quite understand why they have made a change, ask them.
- Copy editing is not a substitute for bad writing. It serves to correct grammar, punctuation, and misused words.
- Copy editors will not re-write passages or eliminate entire passages of your work.
Lastly, if you’re using a style guide, then you’ll want to apprise your copy editor in advance. In fact, discuss before procuring a service.