August is Black Business Month. That will mean a lot of things to a lot of people. But we will deal with the inspiration to be found from those people who have been enterprising. Keep these quotes nearby for the encouragement or share them on a graphic or with some biological information about the business leader quoted.
- “All business is personal… Make your friends before you need them.” — Robert L. Johnson
- “I am where I am because of the bridges that I crossed. Sojourner Truth was a bridge. Harriet Tubman was a bridge. Ida B. Wells was a bridge. Madame C. J. Walker was a bridge. Fannie Lou Hamer was a bridge.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “The battles that count aren’t the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself—the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us—that’s where it’s at.” — Jesse Owens
- “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” — Frederick Douglass
- Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.” — Booker T. Washington
- “If you’re a competitive person, that stays with you. You don’t stop. You always look over your shoulder.” — Magic Johnson
- “You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.” — Marian Wright Edelman
- “If we are going to be part of the solution, we have to engage the problems.” — Majora Carter
- “Have a vision. Be demanding.” — Colin Powell
- “Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.” — Marva Collins
These are certainly inspiring and motivational quotes. Maybe sending one a day to friends via an email or text message is another way to spread the message and share the love.